When packing for an education abroad experience, the most common advice you might receive is to “PACK LIGHT!” What does that even mean?
The weight requirement for a checked bag for most airlines is 50 lbs. Each passenger is allowed a carry-on, and a ‘personal item.’ With this amount of luggage, how can you pack enough for a summer abroad or an entire semester, or fit enough winter clothes to keep you warm? At UK Education Abroad, we have found some tried and true “staples” of clothing to pack while abroad. These versatile pieces can be worn multiple times with different outfits.
1. SCARVES. A scarf is the perfect accessory when studying abroad. They are easy to pack, and can really diversify any outfit. If you feel like your wardrobe abroad has become stagnant, just throw on a scarf to jazz it up!
2. SHOES. A good pair of shoes can make a world of difference. No matter where in the world you might be, we can guarantee you’ll be doing a lot of walking. When packing, choose a pair of reliable shoes that will hold up over those designer boots.
3. TIGHTS. Tights are a great addition to any wardrobe. They are versatile for both summer and winter. You can layer them with other clothes to stay warmer or pair them with a skirt! Again, a pair of tights will not take up much space in your suitcase!
4. SWEATERS. Cardigans and sweaters are great things to pack when going abroad, although they might take up a little more room in a bag. A cardigan can add a little style to a simpler shirt, or be a warmer option for a cute dress!
5. BAG. Having a reliable sturdy bag when traveling is important. Although a cute bag can make an outfit, a reliable bag can make your experience much easier. Even better if you can mix the two!
These are just a few suggestions to for making your perfect wardrobe when spending time abroad! What would you add to this list? What did you value most when you went abroad, or could you just not live without having?
By: Aimee Goffinet
Aimee is a French & International Studies Major and Education Abroad Peer Ambassador at the University of Kentucky. Aimee has participated in three education abroad programs: a winter, UK Sponsored program in India, a summer program in Paris, France with KIIS, and a semester in Grenoble, France with partner CEA.
For more information about the programs that Aimee completed, follow the links to the program pages above.